New vehicle in the workshop...a "BubbleCar" BMW Isetta 300 from 1959, actually its the chassis with a suspension,gear box+chain drive. The body shell is already done by someone else,and also the paintwork. We do not need it yet so its waiting in the owner's garage.
First we have to restore what we have here. The chassis looks fairly good for its age,hopefully do not need so much work.
We stripped it and cleaned the parts as much as we can.
Chassis needed some welding,and some grinding on sharp edges,but its solid anyway.
After degreasing all the parts we sent most of them to shotblasting. They came back like that:
Checked everything and started to prepare them to have a nice finishing coat.
The leaf springs were stripped,cleaned from rust and dirt, greased between the layers and re-built.
The chassis has been masked out,cause the bottom and the outer line of the structure received a rubberized stone chip shield protection before the finishing coat.
Re-sprayed,ready to build the suspension back on.
Some other parts re-sprayed:
All the hard work done,its time to take a lot of pictures:
It was a very successful International Fireman Meeting in May 2009. It was a joy to drive this Little Fire Engine around the town , the Multicar M22 put a smile on everybody's face,and didn't have any problem!
After the meeting finished,we were driving home with a smile on our face as well,(and maybe a teardrop in our eyes too... :) )
The ladder has been done, re-assembled with new cables and rollers,ready to lift it on....
Forgot to mention the joiner has done a brilliant job,he made a new bench, which is a box for equipments as well.
Lets lift that ladder and fit it on. Its always good to have a useful truck with a Palfinger crane on it :)
Ready for a test drive:
Works well. Back to the workshop, fit the windows, front grill,tool box etc...
Engine ,gearbox ,prop shaft fitted,exhaust system has been built and sealed. Temporary fuel supply connected,its time for start it up and check for any leaks,etc..
It was running fine,no leaks anywhere...ican start to build the cabin up and all the rest of the vehicle.
Now its time to get the auto electrician around,to re-wire the whole vehicle:
Meanwhile I was busy with something else... The ladder needed some attention too,first of all I had to blast it:
Repaired,replaced some parts on it and ready to go to the bodyshop for a re -spray:
The car has done only 34k miles,so the "heart of the vehicle" must be in a good condition,but cause of the age, it was some oil leak here and there we were hoping we don't have to get involved too deeply.....well that was the plan....
After a good clean and wash we seen clearly we have to do more than we thought,agreed we do not want any leaks or engine related problems after when the engine fitted into a nicely re sprayed body.
Decided to strip it fully and overhaul- restore the engine fully.
After a good clean:
The front and rear suspension fully restored,adjustable shockers and lowering springs fitted:
Now its time to restore the suspension while the body shell being re sprayed.
First I stripped both (front and rear) suspension and checked what parts I have to replace.
All of the parts have been blasted,nuts & bolts and some other bits zinc coated.
Everything is ready to start to re build the suspension. There are some places on the suspension where I had to use shims,to get everything right and lined up...,so its not a quick and easy build up.
Power Steering rack restoration:
All seals, mounting, bushes, drumsticks, boots, ball joints, and a couple of pipes are replaced.
The bottom of the subframe was damaged from jacking the car up at the middle of subframe, I repaired it before the paintwork went on. The hidden inside of the frame has been treated with rust protection.
Bushes, ball joints, and all necessary parts replaced, greased,and lubricated.
Carry on building the flat bed....
With some modifications needed to be done by other company,there is another tank ready to fit,with new straps,and the filler cap positioned below the floor of the bed...
New closing panel for the back end...
Some repairs needed on the front end closing panel...
Fit them on:
The front bumper was bent and twisted,but managed to get it back to shape.
Now need to position it with the body line and the filler panels too.
Mk2 instrument was fitted in it,and a nicely cut hole appeared behind it...the original instrument panel will be fitted,but the dash panel has to be repaired.New slot for the radio unit,and some hole for extra gauges has been made,but we don't need them to be there.
Seam sealing on the bulk head and the inner wheel arches...I think it gives it a good finish...
Now she is ready to go and have a full new paintwork:
See you later!
Will be continued....
The vehicle has had a flat bed on it before she came to my workshop,but...we checked it over with my customer,and cause the condition of it wasn't good enough,we agreed she deserve a new flat bed to be built,but in a style which is suit her,so I will design it to look similar to the previous one.
The floor will be wood,and the sides also wood with a metal frame around them (that's how they were on the old one)
Some more repairs on the cabin:
And now move to the another part of the vehicle...
The Classic Mechanic
I am Laszlo Izso and I am The Classic Mechanic. We undertake part and full restoration and repairs of modern classics, classic and vintage cars. It is more than a business, it is a vocation as restoring these cars is my passion.