I have done everything on the Rapier,took it for a test drive,running fine,brakes work fine,re checked the valve clearances,no sign of oil or coolant leak,gearbox ok and the over drive working as well.
The time is here to go home.
Here is some final picture:
See you on the classic car shows... :)
I've done the brackets for the heater motor and the servo,they need paint,and the heater motor a bit rusty as well so its also need a paint.
And fit the trunking....
The owner wasn't happy with the brakes,and he decided he want servo unit to be fitted and its will improve the brakes.He bought one universal unit with all the fittings,i just needed to find a room for it in the engine bay.
Not too much room for it ,specially on the near side,so it has to be fitted on the off side.
There is a heater motor and a trunking fitted by the factory,so they have to be moved a bit, to make some more room for the servo. I will refit the heater only when the servo is bolted in.
So it has to be on the offside,as you can see there is a room for it only,cause the battery tray and other bits will be on the nearside.
The fitted servo....
Now,i have to work out how can i refit the heater...i will need some new brackets...
This one holds the servo unit as well, cause the servo is shaking a bit without this.
The carbs are back on the manifold.....the radiator+ all the hoses need to be fitted,exhaust system need to be fitted,cause i'd like to hear the engine running...
eBefore the exhaust system goes back, i have to do some modification on it,cause it was blowing at the joints,and it was touching the body in couple of places.
First of all i had to modify the joint to the manifold....i welded a new style flange on it and welded a flexi bit on the elbow,this will prevent the cracks or breaks on the pipe when the engine running and "shaking".
The exhaust system fitted:
The coolant system filled up with antifreeze,no leaks anywhere,(that's how it should be :) ) new oil in the engine and gearbox,petrol in the carbs...ready for first start...
Fired up,running a bit rough,but sounds good... :)
Carbs and ignition need adjusting,but no sign of any fluid leaks,exhaust isn't blowing...all good.
The engine done,but the gearbox need to be checked and repaired cause the overdrive did not work before.The inside of it cleaned from the old oil and any dirt been stuck there.I repaired the wiring for the solenoid and the switches.
New clutch disc fitted,ready to go back to the engine bay.
Back where they meant to be....
The twin carbs needed a good clean inside and out.
Carry on rebuild the heart of the car...The bottom end done,lets do the top end...
Valves were removed,cleaned,seats done,valve seals replaced,and the head skimmed...
New head gasket prepared.
The ignition distributor:
The manifolds jumped on..
Lets do something with the rocker cover...the surface around the "S" polished. the sunbeam lettering blasted...
Give it some paint!
Try it on...
Most of the parts and bits cleaned and repainted,ready to fit...so lets start to rebuild the engine...
Some more engine parts needed to be painted along with other parts for the car...
The reassembled heater unit...
Fit the oil sump...
Yes she is back...cause the engine not working very well...it has a knocking noise from the bottom end.
I havent touched the engine before,but now i will.The owner asked me to take it out from the car and rebuild it.
I started it:
I removed everything from the engine bay cause i will respray it to the colour of the car.
I've stripped the engine and the crank on the mains and on the big ends quite bad.
The owner already had a spare re bored block and a good crank.He decided to rebuild that block and just leave the old one.First of all give it a good wash and repaint the block:
Some more engine bits also repainted:
The brake and the clutch master cylinder:
Continue soon... :)
I have a few jobs to do and i will let her to go home.I made a new inside cover for the glove box door and i made a piece for the windscreen frame where the sun visors are bolted on.
I checked everything on it again....everything ok, works fine,so the time is here to let the owner drive it home.
Some more pictures before she rolling home:
I had to do lots different kind of jobs on her...like:
fit seals on front and both sides of the hood,fit the door cards,refit side strips,fit badges on the door and on boot lid,fit seals on the doors,check and repair brakes and suspension,repair handbrake mechanism,clean and adjust carburettors,.....
Here are pictures about the jobs :
And resprayed it with under body seal:
The Classic Mechanic
I am Laszlo Izso and I am The Classic Mechanic. We undertake part and full restoration and repairs of modern classics, classic and vintage cars. It is more than a business, it is a vocation as restoring these cars is my passion.