The paintwork completed,two tone paint,orange and silver.
Not the original colour,customer's choice,and i really like it!
The shell is ready to be lifted onto the chassis,and the reassembling began.
We used a "small" crane to do the hard work. :)
It worked :D
Its time to fit all components and complete the work...
More pictures about the body restoration:
Service door on parcel shelf:
Rubberised underbody coat:
Removed old body parts:
The body shell gone to a body shop, having a new paint job.
The rolling chassis gone to a storage,waiting for the shell to be completed.
I'm sharing more pictures about the restoration:
It was totally out of its original shape...twisted,distorted,and as an extra it was damaged too by an accident....
This is where the lower door hinge bolted:
Making sure the parts fits well:
Continue soon... :)
Removed the "old" floor.The bottom of the bulkhead panel required some repair,it has to be repaired like that,cause the original metal was very thin...
And the rest of it in pictures:
When I started the restoration on the chassis and suspension, the plan was when its all complete to bring the body shell in the workshop and start to re assemble the vehicle,cause the shell already has been repaired and re sprayed by others....
Well....the plan has changed.....
When the shell arrived....OMG!!!....
Ive started looking at it...and it was awful....
The previously repaired shell by "others" was : not fitted to the chassis -or not properly,as the new floor panel did not match the fixing points on the chassis,and it didn't laid on it ....it was twisted ,so one side I was able to put my finger between the shell a the chassis,another side my fist nearly gone between them.....bad repairs,and patches everywhere,loads of filler,bad paintwork.......
We agreed with my customer,the metalwork need re doing,and the paintwork too....
Sent it for blasting,to get it clean,and the work began....
I think the pictures will speak for themshelves....
First of all please take a look at the painted shell,this is how it,s arrived to us:
After the blasting:
The original chassis is fully restored now,so we can not do any body repairs with a shell bolted to it,cause the risk of damage....
No other option,but to copy the original chassis,and do the restoration bolted to that...
Brand new floor panel from Germany,had to be customized a bit. It's a very good quality one.
The chassis nearly completed,but we haven't got wheels yet....Its time to get the rims painted. First of all they need some repairs,some kerb marks here and there, and they wer quite rusty...they've been blasted and primed, buy their surface is pitted or scored,so to get a nice finish : will not be easy.
Loads of fillings and sanding needed to be done to get a smooth surface.
Here they are with the finishing coat on:
And the tyres fitted with white walls:
The chassis and other parts all re-sprayed,lots of replacement parts arrived by post. The nuts ,bolts etc zinc coated,and the aluminium parts all vapour blasted.
We can start to rebuild the suspension.
New bearings, new seals, oilite bushes fitted,new shockers,new rubber bushes....
New bearings, new sprockets, new chain....
Gearbox checked, new bearings fitted, new seals, gaskets, new clutch push rod....everything else was fine...
New cables for accelerator, clutch and handbrake. New brake master cylinder (Girling),and freshly made brake pipe line fitted.Nearly ready to receive the body shell. New master cylinder bracket fabricated.
New vehicle in the workshop...a "BubbleCar" BMW Isetta 300 from 1959, actually its the chassis with a suspension,gear box+chain drive. The body shell is already done by someone else,and also the paintwork. We do not need it yet so its waiting in the owner's garage.
First we have to restore what we have here. The chassis looks fairly good for its age,hopefully do not need so much work.
We stripped it and cleaned the parts as much as we can.
Chassis needed some welding,and some grinding on sharp edges,but its solid anyway.
After degreasing all the parts we sent most of them to shotblasting. They came back like that:
Checked everything and started to prepare them to have a nice finishing coat.
The leaf springs were stripped,cleaned from rust and dirt, greased between the layers and re-built.
The chassis has been masked out,cause the bottom and the outer line of the structure received a rubberized stone chip shield protection before the finishing coat.
Re-sprayed,ready to build the suspension back on.
Some other parts re-sprayed:
The Classic Mechanic
I am Laszlo Izso and I am The Classic Mechanic. We undertake part and full restoration and repairs of modern classics, classic and vintage cars. It is more than a business, it is a vocation as restoring these cars is my passion.